Friday, October 10, 2014

Twice a Best Actress: Sally Field


I adore Sally Field. So I was very excited for this week's edition of Twice a Best Actress from Fisti over at A Fistful of Films in which we looked at the actress' award-winning performances. Despite my love of Sally (and Oscar), I have somehow not seen either of her wins before this past week. I wish I could say that I was a fan of both...but you'll just have to see what I and my fellow panelists had to say here. After her two wins, it seemed like the Academy was done honoring Field. Passing over such great work in Steel Magnolias (Oh, my god! That scene in the cemetery) and her hilarious work in Soapdish (okay, an nomination was never gonna happen. But she's so good in it!), so I was pleased when she managed a Best Supporting Actress nomination in 2012 (almost 30 years after her last nom) for her work as Mary Todd Lincoln in Spielberg's film. Hopefully it won't be her last...

Sally Field
Best Actress 1979


Jill Clayburgh Starting Over
Sally Field Norma Rae
Jane Fonda The China Syndrome
Marsha Mason Chapter Two
Bette Midler The Rose*

My Thoughts on Field as Norma Rae Webster in, well, Norma Rae: "Field, who possess an authentic likability that lends any character she plays an instant appeal, digs deep into the hardscrabble background of Norma Rae..." (Click here to read the complete write-up) B

Best Actress 1984


Judy Davis A Passage to India*
Sally Field Places in the Heart
Jessica Lange Country
Vanessa Redgrave The Bostonians
Sissy Spacek The River

My Thoughts on Field as Edna Spalding in Places in the Heart: "We never really learn anything about Edna except her kindness and determination, but the work relies too heavily on our established connection to Field as an actress..." (Click here to read the complete write-up) D

*My choice for Best Actress winner. Although I do enjoy Field in Norma Rae, I'd give the win to Midler that year. In 84, the choices are all so lackluster that I'd reluctantly give it to Davis in the only film that is even remotely remembered (mainly because of the novel).

No comments:

Post a Comment