Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Pick's for 10 Most Memorable Performances in the Films of Hitchcock

This month (next Tuesday, August 13, in fact) would have been Alfred Hitchcock's 114th birthday (not that he would have lasted that long anyway, judging by the size of him...) and in honor of Hitch, Team Experience, of which I am a proud card-carrying member of (well, there's not actually cards), over at The Film Experience ranked our 10 Most Memorable Performances in a Hitchcock Film. The only stipulation was "Memorable" not "Best" so anyone and anything was up for grabs. (I believe a bottle of mineral ore in Notorious may have even had a mention.) I, personally, decided not to double up on Actors' performances – just one from Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, and Ingrid Bergman. I'll also be the first to admit that I'm not all that familiar with his Silent Films or the British Films of the 30s, so apologies to any of those performances I may have slighted. Anyway, on to my ballot:

10. Grace Kelly as Lisa Fremont in Rear Window
or should I say, from top to bottom: Lisa. Carol. Fremont. One of the greatest film entrances...


9. Doreen Lang as The Hysterical Mother in the Diner in The Birds
I haven't seen the film in years, but I still remember her. Just watch this clip and tell me that's not memorable:


8. Tippi Hedren as Marnie Edgar in Marnie
This part is bonkers and after watching HBO's The Girl, I have a new appreciation for Tippi and what Hitch made her go through. She says he prevented her from getting an Oscar nom for this...


7. Ingrid Bergman as Alicia Huberman in Notorious
and the longest kiss in film history:



6. Joseph Cotten as Uncle Charlie in Shadow of a Doubt
that stare...


5. Joan Fontaine as the second Mrs. de Winter in Rebecca
I think Rebecca may be my favorite Hitchcock film. And you've got to be pretty memorable when you don't even have a name in a film and you're the main character.


4. Cary Grant as Roger Thornhill in North by Northwest
You can read my write up at the post. GQ named his suit the most influential in all of cinema:


3. James Stewart as Scottie Ferguson in Vertigo
Who knew a nice guy like Jimmy could be so crazy/creepy:



2. Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in Psycho
"We all go a little mad sometimes."


1. Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca
Simply the best:

"You're overwrought, madam. I've opened a window for you. A little air will do you good. Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you? Look down there. It's easy, isn't it? Why don't you? Why don't you? Go on. Go on. Don't be afraid..."




No comments:

Post a Comment