Tuesday, December 13, 2011

But Imagine It In 3-D

Two official photos have been released of Baz Lurhmann's Australian filmed, 3-D extravagance of a required book from your high school English class. And, my, are they pretty:
"Tobey, doesn't Long Island look suspiciously like the set of Moulin Rouge..."
"Leo-can we talk about how bad J. Edgar was? But, don't speak-just hold me..."
I've always been a big fan of Baz Luhrmann's films. (Have I mentioned that I saw Moulin Rouge! six times in the theatre? I even like Australia more than most people. Although, do people talk about or even remember that movie? I bet if you asked Nicole Kidman about it she'd really have to rack her brain to recall anything.) What I love about his films are they're all distinctly his vision. He has a visual style that is unmistakable. I love how he's not afraid to make something lushly beautiful and wonderfully theatrical. So, it will be interesting to see what he does with The Great Gatsby. It's really the first time that he hasn't created his own world. He's working within the constraints of the novel. (Even though he didn't write Romeo + Juliet, it's definitely his own version. He took that story and put his twist on it.) From what I can tell, Gatsby, appears to be a more straight forward rendition. Oh, except for that whole filming in 3-D thing. You gotta hand it to a man that is using a technique usually reserved for animation and action films and apply it to an adult drama based on a classic American masterpiece. Baz certainly makes the film he wants to make. I'm just glad I get to experience them...

No comments:

Post a Comment